Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Appeal to [insert fallacy]


After my two older brothers were shipped off to college, or as I would say shipped off to start their life, I became the oldest, the head dog, and the person in charge when my parents were out. I was terrified. I knew I didn’t want to be an overbearing sister to my two little bros. I knew I didn’t want them to hate me right away. But I also knew I couldn’t just give in whenever they wanted. Naturally they, and I, had to adjust to two less boys in the house, so in the beginning of my “reign” it easy sailing. As life went on, and months passed I soon became the most hated and most loved sister. The hardest part for me was making threats I knew I couldn’t full-fill. I pulled so many “appeal to fear” stunts: anything to make them stop arguing with each other, anything to make them help out in the kitchen, anything. Of course, the more I used the “appeal to fear” card the less and less they started to believe me. Everything was backfiring! That’s when I turned to honest “threats” that I could full-fill. I would suggest just starting there, for all you older siblings. However, it doesn’t end there. Instead of me betting on fallacies to help me out, my brothers start figuring out the fallacies. After I learned to be a steady older sister they begun the “appeal to pity” trick.
“Hannah, I really want to mow the lawn, but I’m just getting no sleep at night. I’m so exhausted. My legs cannot push a lawn mower. I can’t do it.”
Yeah right. Nice one. Better luck next time chump. You’re not saying that while your playing football with the neighbor kids.
 Needless to say, fallacies are used in everyday life whether we know it or not. Even that last sentence could be one. ;-) Is that an overgeneralization or an unsupported generalization?

No comments:

Post a Comment